Saturday 3 April 2021

REVIEW: Sick Heart by J.A. Huss



Title: Sick Heart
Author: J.A. Huss
Release Date: 30 March 2021
Genre: Dark MMA fighter romance



Cort van Breda has won 35 death matches as a fighter in an MMA circuit so deep underground there are no rules and only the winner gets out alive.

They call him the Sick Heart.

They say he’s a shameless monster.

They say he’s a ruthless killer.

They say he’s as twisted as the man who owns him.

They say a lot of things about Cort van Breda.

But in our world violence is money, and money is winning, and winning is life, and life is the only thing that matters.

Except… he wasn’t meant to win that last fight.

And I wasn’t meant to be his prize.

But he did.

And I am.

And now his sick heart owns me.


WARNING: This is a sweet love story adrift in an ocean of evil. It is about two survivors dealing with their darkest secrets while they fight to change their lives. It is for mature readers only and has descriptions of deeply disturbing situations. There will be pearl clutching.



Caroline's Review
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Top Read 2021


This is the most unique story I’ve read this year. I was completely caught up in it.

”I liked her silence, too. I could hear it immediately. It’s just like mine. She is just like me. Damaged and broken. Hurt and sore. Used and discarded.”

Cort van Breda has one last fight to win and then he’s earned his freedom. Anya Bokori is the prize. She’s been with the same master for almost twenty years and now she’s about to change hands. However, the fight doesn’t quite go to plan and Anya finds herself isolated on a decommissioned oil rig in the middle of the ocean with the guy everyone calls Sick Heart. Two people who have more in common with each other than they both realise.

”She was worth the fight. Worth the price, too. Because I don’t just like her, I want her.”

This was SUCH an amazing story. It was a long book and I was hooked on EVERY. SINGLE. WORD. I was completely enthralled by Cort and Anya’s lives, their personal journeys, and their secrets. They were both broken but incredibly resilient. They both used more than brute strength as weapons – weapons that no one could take away from them. The world they inhabit is brutal, twisted and sickening. Any softness comes at a price. Any joy is tempered by the possibility of death. Any tender moments are especially stark when juxtaposed against their cruel world. Any beauty is tempered by the ugliness of their reality. I was wholly invested in their story and the outcome. I’ll be thinking about this book for a long while yet.






SICK HEART IS FREE to read in Kindle Unlimited: https://geni.us/SickHeart


No comments:

Post a Comment