Friday 27 January 2017

Amazing FREEBIE Alert: Hawthorne & Heathcliff by R K Ryals



πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’• AMAZING FREEBIE ALERT! πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•

This book is a stunning read. See Caroline's review from 2015 when this novel was first published. Prepare for a massive book hangover! 





Hawthorne & Heathcliff by R.K. Ryals


Two names that didn't belong to us. Two shoes that did.

Intense and introspective, seventeen-year-old Hawthorne Macy knows all about being abandoned. She's felt the stark pain of being left behind by the people who are supposed to love her the most; her parents. Raised by her caring uncle on an old plantation, Hawthorne lives her life on the fringes of her small Southern town.

Until she meets his shoe.

Senior year, last period English class, and a pair of silent tennis shoes resting next to hers in the back of the room throws Hawthorne into a world she'd learned to stay outside of.

His name is Max Vincent, but in her mind, he’s Heathcliff. The handsome eighteen-year-old boy behind the shoes will pull Hawthorne into a passionate and unforgettable adventure of self-discovery during a time when love seems impossible.

Shoes can tell a lot about a person. The journey they take you on can tell a lot about how they'll hold up.


Caroline's Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


Massive book hangover alert!!

I’ve read a ton of good, even some amazing, books, this year. However, I think that this book is my BEST read of 2015, so far!

"My feet. They were soldiers. They fought battles for me I didn't know I was fighting. They walked me through things I normally wouldn't walk through. It didn't matter where I'd been, I was never the same person when I left."

Hawthorne was abandoned to her uncle when she was six and barely speaks to anyone other than him. Heathcliff is equally silent, although he comes from a prominent family in their little town. They both sit at the back of their English class; their shoes occupying the same aisle – side by side. They sit in silence the whole time, barely acknowledging the other. Until a poem really resonates with Hawthorne and she startles herself by speaking up in class, which prompts Heathcliff’s own crack in his silent faΓ§ade. He follows her home that day to ensure her safety and meets her uncle. And, there begins the tentative friendship/relationship between them.

Heathcliff comes into Hawthorne’s life at a time when she will need him, even though he plans to leave after graduation. He never expected her but he can’t help himself.

I don’t want to give any real spoilers but this story is an absolute must-read!

"Life wasn't about the world beyond anymore. It was about moments. Little moments."


It deals with first love, second chances, loss and grief, and ultimately hope and happiness. It is stunning and poetic, and full of symbolism – it’s absolutely beautiful! The writing style really grabbed me. It’s a clever and hugely deep novel. I was brimming with emotion. I couldn’t put it down and stayed up until the early hours to finish it.

The ending was appropriate, spare and just right – although, I would love an update epilogue on this couple, at some point.

Thoroughly, thoroughly recommend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment